History

The site that is now Great Kids Farm was originally developed by the Episcopal Reverend George Bragg in 1912 as a foster home and school for disadvantaged African American boys. The property was  purchased by Baltimore City Public Schools (BCPS) in the 1950s and utilized as a school and nature center. By the late 1900s, the property was no longer needed as a school, but continued to be owned by the School System.   

In 2008, as part of a major school food reform initiative, the Bragg property was identified as a potential site for a farm. A group of committed BCPS employees and community volunteers repaired the greenhouses, cultivated the fields, planted fruit trees, and renovated the buildings. Great Kids Farm was born. The working farm and education center now serves thousands of Baltimore City Schools’ students each year through field trips, educational events, support for school gardens, and produce for school cafeterias.

The community volunteers involved in establishing the Farm formed a not-for-profit foundation in 2011 to raise funds for the Farm. Friends of Great Kids Farm has since raised over $400,000 to support and expand the Farm's programs.